High-Profile Auto Accident Cases NJ
This article delves into the most notable and influential auto accident cases that have occurred in New Jersey.
It examines the legal, social, and safety implications of these incidents, shedding light on the complexities of automotive law and public safety in the state. Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
Landmark Auto Accident Litigations
- $2.5 Million Settlement: A 62-year-old man suffered severe injuries following a collision at an intersection. The defendant failed to stop at a stop sign, leading to the plaintiff’s hospitalization for nearly nine months with massive internal injuries and a spinal fracture.
- $2.3 Million Settlement: In this case, the client was hit head-on when the defendant crossed over double yellow lines to pass a stopped vehicle. The client sustained serious injuries, including a hole in his heart.
- $2,500,000 settlement: Shankman v. Conti Enterprises, Somerset County. This case involved a . Plaintiffs entered a construction zone and rear-ended a caterpillar backhoe that pulled into their path. They suffered multiple fractures and sued the contractor for failing to adhere to a state-required traffic control plan, which called for the caterpillar to have proper warning markings on its body. The plaintiff also sued the state of New Jersey for failing to ensure its contractor adhered to the regulations. The parties reached a mediated settlement.
Source: Lomorrow Law
Throughout the realm of auto accident litigation, negligence remains a core issue. This relates not only to car accident cases where drivers may have been distracted or intoxicated but also extends to scenarios where vehicle manufacturers fail to maintain safety standards.
A significant number of jury verdicts have favored victims who cited negligence, either personal or corporate, as the primary cause of their accident injuries.
These verdicts have been instrumental in recompensing victims for medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional suffering – demonstrating the inherent value of diligent car accident representation.
Car accident attorneys play a pivotal role in securing compensation for victims, as they navigate the complex landscape of litigation, from establishing culpability to determining appropriate levels of compensation.
Optimally, through the representation of experienced injury attorneys, victims can attain a measure of financial and emotional reprieve following their ordeal.
Celebrity Auto Accident Spotlights
- John Nash Jr.: Renowned mathematician John Forbes Nash Jr., known for his life story portrayed in the film “A Beautiful Mind,” and his wife were killed in an auto accident on May 23, 2015. They were in a taxi in New Jersey when they lost control trying to pass another car and crashed into a guardrail. Both were ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.
- Tracy Morgan: The comedian and “30 Rock” star was critically injured in a six-vehicle crash on the New Jersey Turnpike on June 7, 2014. A truck driver, who had reportedly fallen asleep at the wheel, crashed into Morgan’s limo, causing a chain-reaction crash. The accident resulted in Morgan suffering a traumatic brain injury, broken femur, broken ribs, and broken nose, along with injuries to others and one fatality.
- Dwight Gooden: Former major league baseball player Dwight Gooden was involved in a two-car accident in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, in March 2010. Gooden, under the influence of drugs, crashed his vehicle with his five-year-old son in the passenger seat. He faced charges including endangering the welfare of a child, driving under the influence, reckless driving, and leaving the scene of an accident.
Notable Auto Accident Cases
The landscape of auto accident litigation in New Jersey is marked by several cases that have left a profound impact on the field.
Key among these cases are those handled by seasoned accident lawyers adept at securing justice for accident victims, through negotiations or civil trials.
NJ accident attorney representation ensures that these victims are not bullied by cunning insurance companies who try to limit their recovery.
Many law firms have played pivotal roles in shaping the realm of personal injury law.
However, among them, the law office of Lord, Kobrin, Alvarez, and Fattell stands out due to its track record in civil trial litigation for motor vehicle accidents.
Their team of civil trial attorneys leaves no stone unturned to shed light on the intricate fact patterns surrounding each crash.
A free consultation with them offers an in-depth examination of your legal options, offering a strong bulwark of advocacy in the pursuit of just compensation.
Major Auto Accident Settlements
Without a doubt, car accidents account for a large percentage of injury lawsuits filed in U.S. courts.
A report from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration states that in some regions, like South Jersey, the number of vehicle collision incidents is alarmingly high. In such legal battles, choosing competent representation becomes vital.
The lawyers of Eichen Crutchlow Zaslow have amassed more than $750 million in jury verdicts and settlements from auto accident cases alone, highlighting their proficiency in this area of law.
One such high-profile case involved Leonard, wherein his successful litigation led to considerable compensation for his injuries.
Media Coverage of High-Profile Auto Accidents
While it is an unfortunate reality, serious injury, and wrongful death litigation is often a consequence of high-profile auto accidents.
An increase in attention from media outlets can significantly impact the progression of wrongful death litigation matters throughout the proceedings.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released statistics indicating that almost 36,096 people were killed in traffic crashes in 2019, an alarming figure indicating a 2% decrease from the previous year. Despite this minor decrease, the number of people injured still stood at a staggering 2.74 million.
The media’s focus can heighten the scrutiny faced by victims throughout the process, affect public perception, and potentially influence the jury pool.
It also lends a visible platform for discussing what damages are available to victims in these cases, including compensation for medical expenses, loss of income and earning potential, pain, and suffering, among others.
In the wake of these high-profile incidents, an array of free profiles of legal aid options are also available online.
These profiles offer information regarding relevant attorneys’ bar membership, jurisdiction, and previous noteworthy cases.
Emphasizing due diligence while choosing legal representation is instrumental in navigating the complex process of injury and wrongful death litigation following high-profile auto accidents.